Saturday, May 22, 2004

Weird things hunters do.

When we first moved to Colorado my husband was so excited about the prospect of hunting elk and the great mule deer that he went out and bought all that junk they sell to help hunters' odds of bagging an animal.  (they were more interested in helping hunters empty their wallets if you ask me, but nobody asked me so I'm not saying nothing).  Among the hunting aids he brought home was a little 6oz bottle of doe urine.  Now I wasn't sure I was reading this right so I asked Steve about it and he confirmed that yes, he had in fact just paid $7.99 for a little bottle of deer pee.  That comes out to $170 a gallon!  Deer pee for $170 a gallon, are they nuts?  Its PEE!  Heck, if I knew he wanted pee that bad I would have given him some of mine in a cup for just $5, and there's plenty more where that came from!

He also bought some of those camoflauge outfits.  Thing is, the folks that made the print are from the southeast where there are trees and grass and stuff.  He looked like a grassy, leafy green hill that got picked up from the south by a tornado and dumped in the middle of a desert full of rocks and cactus.  It would take several washings before he blended in with his surroundings.

I think the funniest things I've heard of was from my favorite Women Hunter's board.  We were discussing scent cover-uppers and one lady said she used panty liners dabbed with deer scent (probably that $170 a gallon deer pee) on the bottom of her boots to leave a scent trail.  Another lady mentioned dipping tampons (unused of course) into the scent and tying them to trees and bushes along the trail.  Hmmm, thats one thing I would NOT want to see hanging from a tree while walking through the woods.  But they are tried and true methods and I'm not knocking them. 

My biggest pet peeve with my husband is his need to buy a new gun for every different species he hunts.  He got a shotgun for shooting ducks but wouldn't you know, it wasn't good enough for geese so naturally he needed to get a good goose gun.  Then his deer rifle was fine for deer in the field, but not for deer on the hill, so he had to get a deer on the hill gun.  And elk, well, they're a bigger animal so he needed a more powerful rifle, which he got but it was only good for shots within a 300 yard range.  He still needed an elk rifle for getting those elk standing on the far meadow there in the next state... and a good scope to go with it.  So he got a highpowered scope to go with his highpowered rifle, and his first shot wouldn't you know, was a 35 yard shot that was too close for the scope so he had to aim down the side of the rifle!  Amazing!  Simply amazing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.  My husband has one rifle and one shotgun and with these two items he does all his hunting.  I should mention that we have eaten squirrel in deer season instead of deer in deer season and that he has bagged only one deer in 9 years of marriage - but how could you hunt for economics with so many expensive guns?  Do you get to bag more than one a season?

Anonymous said...

My husband does not hunt, but he fishes. He needs surf rods, river rods, flyfishing rods...and lures, and live bait, and lots of expensive stuff to hand tie his own flies...

Anonymous said...

oh i hear that....we are fisher people and ya know you have to have a lightweight, a medium weight and a ultralightweight and a cane pole and a...well u get the picture im sure...i think its a guy thing....lol
http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

Anonymous said...

I have to ask although I'm not sure I really want to know the answer. How do they get pee out of a deer?